Transit Manager & Phone Support
Buffalo Lumber is a 3rd party internet retailer specializing in custom milled and factory finished wood siding. We represent several lumber mills and deliver to customers across the US and Canada.
The primary role of transit manager is to communicate with our customers to keep them updated with their delivery progress. The lumber and trucking industry has not yet reached the 20th century and many of the vendors we deal with require continual follow-up to make sure the order is delivered safely and promptly.
To be a successful transit manager you must always put our customer’s best interest first, be able to take charge, not be intimidated by those resistant to change and to have a thick skin.
A secondary role would phone backup. We are not a shopping cart. All potential customers call to schedule consultation. You will learn to field questions, do initial pre-qualification and enter consult details into our online lead database.
You must have Microsoft Office experience plus excellent phone and email skills. This is an independent contractor position. A business license with additional client base is required.
- Good voice with excellent phone presence
- Good writing skills with email experience
- Attention to detail and very thorough
- Computer literate - Microsoft Office, Email, Docs, online search, typing
- Willing and able to learn all things lumber and transit – language and specifics
- Willing and able to learn our email protocols and quote software system
- Patience and thick skin
- Experience with lumber & trucking industry (desired but not required)
System requirements to remote into our private computer network:
- Windows 8 or 10
- High-speed, broadband connection to the internet
- Two monitors, one being a larger monitor 24in+
What the job looks like
We are a tight-knit team and use skype IM to communicate throughout the day and skype video to meet 2-3 times a week to review order status with sales.
We use email to track every order step. There is not a lot of phone time except when pre-emptive calls to customers, mills and truck companies are needed to follow-up emails or to prevent Murphy Law strikes – “anything that can go wrong will go wrong”.
We have full-time computer and software support. And full-time order support to answer questions and provide assistance when transit issues arise.
It is a part-time telecommuting job Monday through Friday from 10am – 2pm CST. We would prefer someone in US/Canada who can work EST to support our main customer base. Some flexibility to cover 8-5 CST when needed would be a plus.
What we are looking for:
- Warm on the phone with customers and vendors
- Proactive personality, willing to take charge to assure customer satisfaction
- comfortable with computers; email, outlook, search
- comfortable with basic computer stuff; copy/paste, pdf snapshots, professional looking emails
- no apprehension about the nuts and bolts of the job and willing to learn our software and do what it takes
- A business license with additional client base is required
What we offer:
- Part-time telecommuting position with some schedule flexibility
- $15/hour, 20 hours a week to start
- Full time Computer, email and order support
- Supportive team environment
Someone with the ability to supervise activities, see problems coming before they become BIG problems and take proactive steps to deal with them will thrive in this position.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a paragraph outlining how you will be a great fit for our position.
We look forward to meeting you!
Buffalo Lumber Team